Mets acquire Francisco Lindor, Carlos Carrasco in blockbuster trade with Indians

Originally posted on MLB Trade Rumors | By Mark Polishuk | Last updated 1/7/21

The Mets have made their first huge deal of the Steve Cohen era, acquiring shortstop Francisco Lindor and right-hander Carlos Carrasco from the Indians as part of a six-player trade. To replace their star shortstop, Cleveland will receive two prominent young infielders in Amed Rosario and Andres Gimenez and a pair of Mets prospects — right-hander Josh Wolf and outfielder Isaiah Greene.

It has been widely assumed that Lindor would be on the move at some point this offseason, as the Tribe is looking to cut payroll and Lindor is now entering his final season before free agency. The Mets have been one of many teams mentioned as a plausible suitor, though comments made by both new owner Cohen and team president Sandy Alderson implied that the Mets would be more apt to sign big-name players rather than trade for them, due to a lack of minor-league depth in New York’s farm system.

Instead, Alderson and new Mets GM Jared Porter have now swung a major blockbuster. Financial terms of the deal haven’t yet been made public, but it’s safe to assume the Mets are picking up all of the $27M owed to Carrasco through the 2022 season. Between Carrasco’s contract and Lindor’s projected salary (between $17.5M and $21.5M) in his final year of arbitration, Cohen’s willingness to spend manifested itself in a different way, as the Mets will now upgrade their roster by taking some salaries off the books of the cost-cutting Cleveland organization.

Since his debut in 2015, no shortstop in baseball has a higher fWAR (28.9) than Lindor. A four-time All-Star with two Gold Gloves and two Silver Slugger Awards, Lindor has hit .285/.346/.488 with 138 home runs over his six big league seasons, and further established himself as an all-around talent by stealing 99 bases. 2020 was a down year for Lindor, as he hit only .258/.335/.415 over a league-high 266 PA, but that would certainly be explained by the unusual nature of the shortened season rather than a clear sign of a decline.

It is also fair to wonder if Lindor might have been impacted by the trade speculation that has been swirling around him for the better part of three years. After some early-career extension talks with the Tribe failed to lead to a deal, it became increasingly clear that Cleveland would look to trade Lindor rather than just let him walk in free agency. Indians owner Paul Dolan said last year that his team didn’t have the resources to invest heavily in a single player, and rather notoriously told Cleveland fans to “enjoy [Lindor] and then we’ll see what happens.”

To continue reading the full article, click HERE.

New owner vows Mets will act ‘like a major market team’

By Zac Wassink | Last updated 11/10/20

Get excited, New York Mets fans. You’re about to have some fun new toys. 

Billionaire hedge fund manager Steve Cohen, who assumed ownership of the Mets last Friday, told reporters during Tuesday’s media session that the Mets will act “like a major market team” as it pertains to free-agent signings and payrolls. 

“Are we going to act like drunken sailors in the marketplace? No,” Cohen explained, per the Associated Press (h/t ESPN). “I want to be thoughtful. You can spend a lot of money today and then tie up your team in bad contracts for the next five years.”

Cohen wasted no time getting to work before the weekend, as he parted ways with general manager Brodie Van Wagenen and executives Omar Minaya, Allard Baird, Adam Guttridge and Jared Banner. He also appointed former Mets general manager Sandy Alderson team president. 

Alderson said that it is likely Luis Rojas will remain manager through the start of the 2021 season. 

To continue reading the full article, click HERE.

Alex Rodriguez, Jennifer Lopez still trying to buy Mets?

Originally posted on Larry Brown Sports | By Grey Papke | Last updated 9/8/20

Despite very long odds, Jennifer Lopez and Alex Rodriguez have not given up on their hope of purchasing the New York Mets.

Lopez told Joel Sherman of the New York Post that she was still prepared to buy the Mets and that she would be the one in control of the team. That’s a shift from the previous buying process, where Rodriguez was listed as the would-be control person on documentation. This would make Lopez the first Latina woman to take on such a role. It also has the benefit of ensuring that owners do not have to vote on the still-controversial Rodriguez as a possible owner.

“It ain’t over until it is over,” Lopez told Sherman. “We are New Yorkers and we are not going to give up. We feel we have the best bid for the sport, the team and the city.”

Rodriguez would be heavily involved in baseball operations despite not being the controlling owner. He said that under their ownership, the Mets would aim to “compete for a World Series championship every year.”

To continue reading the full article, click HERE.

Alex Rodriguez group seen as favorite to purchase Mets?

By Erin Walsh | Last updated 8/16/20

Alex Rodriguez and Jennifer Lopez appear to be one step closer to becoming the next owners of the New York Mets

According to Yahoo Sports’ Bob Nightengale, the group headlined by Rodriguez and Lopez is reportedly being viewed as the favorite to purchase the Mets. 

Rodriguez and Lopez are competing with billionaire Steve Cohen and Philadelphia 76ers/New Jersey Devils owner Joshua Harris to buy the club from the Wilpon family. 

Nightengale adds that, according to Sportico, the best and final bids are due by Aug. 31. 

To continue reading the full article, click HERE.

New York Mets to use cardboard cutouts of fans at Citi Field

As the New York Mets prepare for the 2020 MLB season, they know things will be different this year during the COVID-19 pandemic. Fortunately, the team has found a way to make an empty Citi Field a little more comfortable.

While it won’t be as great as the robot fans used by a Taiwanese baseball team, the New York Mets will at least allow some fun this season. After finally offering refunds for 2020 games that fans won’t be able to attend due to COVID-19, the club came up with a unique way to fill seats.

The Mets announced Wednesday that they will put cardboard cutouts all around the stadium at Citi Field. Better yet, fans who renew their 2021 season tickets can get a personalized cutout of themselves and it will be placed around the stadium during games.

While fans won’t be allowed to pick specific seats for the cardboard version of themselves, the Mets will let them to get multiple versions if they buy multiple season tickets. The creative plan is currently only available for season ticket holders, but could eventually be offered to other fans.

To continue reading the full article, click HERE.

Originally posted on Sportsnaut | By Matt Johnson | Last updated 7/9/20

Alex Rodriguez addresses rumors of his interest in buying Mets

After Steven Cohen decided not to purchase the New York Mets, rumors swirled that Alex Rodriguez could emerge as a potential suitor.

When asked by Jimmy Fallon on Monday night about possibly making a run at becoming the owner of the MLB team, A-Rod did not explicitly rule it out.

To continue reading the full article, click HERE.

Originally posted on Sportress of Blogitude By Jason Rowan | Last updated 3/10/20

Report: Alex Rodriguez interested in buying Mets

A surprise name has emerged in potential bidding for the New York Mets.

According to Thornton McEnery of the New York Post , Alex Rodriguez is “kicking the tires” on a possible bid for the Mets. Rodriguez was a childhood Mets fan who has gotten into business since his retirement.

“[Rodriguez] genuinely loves the Mets,” said source told the Post. “He and J-Lo have talked about him buying a team ever since Jeter got the Marlins.”

Any bid may be a long shot. The Mets could cost in the neighborhood of $3 billion, which likely means Rodriguez would have to partner with wealthy investors as part of an ownership group.

To continue reading the full article, click HERE.

Originally posted on Larry Brown Sports | By Grey Papke | Last updated 2/14/20

Mets Lose Walker for the Year


Written by Kristie Ackert at New York Daily News.com

Neil Walker could not do it any more. The Mets second baseman said he tried to play with the herniated disc in his back, but there was concern that it would further damage his back and lower body and he was unsure how effective he could be. So Walker confirmed Thursday afternoon that he has decided to have season-ending surgery.

“The questions I asked and the initial prognosis was to try and push through this thing and I did. The more I tried to push through it, the more I realized I was hurting the team and myself,” Walker said before Thursday night’s series finale against the Marlins at Citi Field. “I had to be honest with what was going on here. Like I said, this was a very difficult decision. I want nothing more than to be on the field and it’s very disappointing in my eyes.”

And disappointing for the Mets, who were saying just Wednesday that he was “day-to-day.”

They were hoping to ride Walker’s hot bat down the stretch and into the playoffs. In the second half of the season, Walker was hitting .347 with eight home runs, three doubles, a triple and 18 RBI in 31 games.

But this issue, which Walker said he has battled for at least four years, was only getting worse. He missed four days on the last road trip with the ailment and also missed games earlier in the season. An MRI taken this week, when compared to the one done in June for the same issue, showed there had been damage to the disc that needed to be addressed.

“There was a suggestion from all three that I could attempt to play through it, but that was also immediately followed by ‘But if you do, you could be putting yourself at much greater risk of more than just back issues,’” Walker said.

To continue reading this article, click here.

Yoenis Cespedes’ Days With the Mets Appear to Be Officially Over

Written by Andrew Coppens at The Comeback

While the New York Mets’ young and live-armed pitching staff got all the attention en route to a NLCS win and World Series appearance, the bats also came along for the ride. Outfielder Yoenis Cespedes made a major impact and the Mets were hopeful of keeping him around beyond last season.

But how long the Mets wanted to keep Cespedes around appears to be the sticking point.CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reports that Cespedes’ days with the Mets are officially over after the team only offered a short-term deal to the fourth-year major leaguer.

“As for Cespedes, the Mets at some point this winter suggested a short term deal of perhaps “two or three” years for the star outfielder, according to sources, and word is they never even named a price. That’s probably just as well on the price since Cespedes would be expected to find a deal for at least five or six years on the market.” 

This coming after Cespedes finished the season batting .291, with 35 home runs, 105 RBI and a slugging percentage of .542 between the Mets and Detroit Tigers.

With those numbers and plenty of teams looking for right-handed bats in the outfield, Cespedes is likely to command some major interest on the free agent market, and it appears that is exactly where things are headed. But which teams will be in the market is the multi-million dollar question this offseason.

To continue reading this article, click here

Terry Collins Place Blame on Himself for Mets Collapse


Written by Liam McGuire at Bloguin

Matt Harvey was dominating in the most important start of his career. The Mets ace was in the process of throwing a complete game shutout against the Royals through eight innings with New York’s season on the line, and entering the ninth inning he let manager Terry Collins know he wanted a chance to finish what he started.

Collins was going to replace Harvey, but the pitcher told the skipper ‘I’ve got to have this game,’ and he went back out there and subsequently allowed the Royals to rally, which kept the game alive, leading them to win the game and World Series. Going against his gut decision, and betting on Harvey’s emotional response cost the Mets big and Collins said he’s going to question the decision for the foreseeable future.

To continue reading this article, click here